Friday, December 11, 2015

NC Bookgirl reads Hanukkah Lights, Hanukkah Nights


I found this book by Leslie Kimmelmen unexpectedly in my library collection.  It had been hidden from me but was a great surprise.  My standby Hanukkah book for use with the kindergarten was missing so I used this instead.  I missed some of the elements of the other story such as the emphasis on more specific activities the family did each night as the sun set.  This had good detail in the story for some of the Hanukkah traditions but did not name in the story the menorah or that Jewish people celebrated it.  However there is a section at the end of text that did fill in those facts as well as giving a good read aloud version of the Maccabees story.  So I highly recommend this book for pre-k through first grade.  The book I used to use and you can still buy is, Is it Hanukkah Yet? by Nancy Krulik.  I will have to get a new copy.

Keep Calm and Read on,
 NC Bookgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment